Thursday 12 May 2016

Evaluation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E-lefSA-7g


The first scene I chose was the car scene from the 2004 film White Chicks. The scene includes mostly spoken word in the form of naturalistic dialogue. I found this aspect of the scene to be particularly challenging because not all of the dialogue could be easily synched in with the visuals because sometimes their faces couldn't be seen whilst they were talking. The diegetic music that was played in the scene proved to be more challenging than originally anticipated as I didn't realise in the beginning that the song had verses cut. This meant that trying to synch the song with original required painstaking and tedious editing. I was unable to find the original non-diegetic jazz music that was used in the scene so I instead opted to find my own music that I also felt was fitting. There was also a small usage of foley sounds as I recorded the voice actor doing a growl for the dog but for the most part I used sourced material.

Overall I am pleased with the outcome as the reception it received from my peers suggested that both the humorous mood and meaning in the scene are effectively communicated. The practical work in this scene is also met my intensions and I didn't need to change anything during the editing and recording process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PM1DOScM4Q


The second scene chosen was the Cornucopia bloodbath from the first instalment of the Hunger Games trilogy in 2012. The scene contains no dialogue and is made up of almost entirely non-diegetic music which was part of the score for the movie. There was some use of sound effects in the scene which I made sure was entirely foley.

I recorded myself tapping on a table to replace the countdown at the beginning of the scene and I used an equaliser to distort the sound to help create an atmosphere and mood for the scene. I also took a microphone outside and recorded the sound of my stepping, running, jumping and dragging my foot across both gravel and grass to create different sounds. It was not my original intention to record record myself on gravel and grass for the foley sound effects but after watching a documentary about the making of the audio for the Hunger Games I discovered that the original sound production team actually used the same technique for the film so I came to the conclusion that it would be the best option moving forward.

I am not as happy with this scene in comparison to the other one I chose but I still believe I was able to show the mood effectively. If I was to rerecord the scene again I would probably include things such as footsteps and breathing by the main character to slightly change the scenes mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment